Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Connections

I find myself thinking about CONNECTIONS a lot these days - probably because I feel I'm not very connected right now...

When I started my doctoral program in July 2009, I was looking forward to a new set of colleagues, new horizons opening, intellectual stimulation and challenge, and new connections. What I didn't stop to think about was how this endeavor would impact the life I had built and enjoyed up to that point.

In June of 2010, I was named Social Worker of the Year by NASW-MN, my professional association (National Association of Social Workers). It was, by any measure, the highest honor I have ever been given. I'm still not entirely confident I "deserved" it - but my colleagues insist that yes, I did. Since then, I have stepped away from not only my contract work with NASW-MN, but also all volunteer work. I used to keep myself busy upwards of 40 hrs/week with my involvements and leadership posts. Now, even though Social Work Day at the Capitol (SW-DAC) was my "baby" for 8 years - I revitalized the annual lobby day and increased attendance by over four-fold during that time - I couldn't even tell you what day it's scheduled for in 2012... and that makes me sad. I trained an AMAZING young social worker to take over for me, and while she continues to do a bang-up job, I miss it. A lot. I can't remember the last time I was at the NASW-MN office, or even on the website - the website that I scrapped, totally revamped, and maintained for 4 years. Hard work - and I miss it all.

I also stepped away from Exultate in March of 2010 - the semi-professional chamber choir I had sung with since 1997. My mother tells me I have been singing since before I could talk, so therefore, I can honestly claim I've been a musician all my life. I miss singing - it helps me keep my pieces together. And I miss my Exultate family - I have sung with amazing, and amazingly gifted people!

Although I adore and cherish my cohort mates (Cohort 23 ROCKS!), I don't see them enough. In fact, we haven't been together as a cohort since mid-May 2011... that's a long time. I miss them, too, and can barely contain my excitement at seeing them on February 10th!

On the surface, it should be easy to connect with my friends, since my schedule during the day is completely flexible between 9-4. But, people are busy, they have jobs, they have appointments, they have their own kids and commitments.... so Facebook became my primary connection to the world - only...

Well, lets just say there's a difference of opinion about Facebook in my household. (!) So, that's gone now, too. And I miss my friends. A lot.

Funny how we sometimes don't realize how connected we actually are, until those connections are gone. And I'm certainly feeling it.

So, if you're in the Twin Cities Metro and looking for a lunch companion, let me know! Or, if you have an hour & want to meet for coffee - I'm your gal! 2012 is going to be a year of POSITIVE CHANGE for me - including in the area of connections, so let me know if you want to CONNECT!!

1 comment:

Pete Barber said...

Good luck in your year. I think many of us are looking for those connections.